Friday, November 02, 2007

The Spider and the Magpie

I crept through the hole in the door at the back
Eight legs up on tip toes braced for attack
I prepared for my supper by spinning my web
In the darkest of corners besides the mares bed

While up in the rafters sat bonnie Eli
The blackest and whitest and most eligible Magpie
Playing with his treasure by the light of the moon
Not knowing that sorrow would find me soon

For Eli was a rake of the worst disrepute
Sashaying and strutting in his black & white suit
And no one was safe from his notorious appeal
There wasn’t a heart that Eli could not steal

Now none of that matters as I spin and I spin
For the gold that he gave me may well have been tin
And the Vodka he supplied with the tastiest of fly
Can’t dull my sweet memories of that charming Magpie.

No comments:

Post a Comment