Sunday, April 26, 2009

Star Trek

Travelling back in time is a fact. I have just experienced it. I am now an adult inhabiting the space I once occupied as a child. I have rediscovered my childhood fantasy show Star Trek TOS only very recently. It seems incredible to me that something that gave me so much joy way back then as a little girl can give me so much pleasure now through the eyes of a woman.

I cannot get over how handsome, attractive and soo very alpha male Jame T Kirk's character is in this series and I now have a very difficult time trying to envision any other actor in the role of a Starfleet Captain. Throughout the years I have followed all the Star Trek movies and spin offs, up until Enterprise that is (couldn't quite get into that one). Since I can't even begin to remember the last time I viewed these episodes of Star Trek TOS (quite a number of years ago) my adult memories of William Shatner are of a much much older man and in my opinion a very different character. Then again, he has just turned 78. Wow even that blows my mind.

I now find myself obsessing over this character from the far past which feels alien to my normal sensibilities but has spurred on my creative flow as a writer. I will no longer question the strangeness of where one finds their next muse and simply go with the flow and relish the sheer enjoyment I am experiencing second time around with this fabulous show.

I may now, as a result of this obsessive/compulsive behaviour, have to go out and purchase the new remastered DVD offerings.

No comments:

Post a Comment